Last year I received a copy of Shari Criso’s My Baby Experts™ Simply Breastfeeding DVD. It was wonderful and I gave it a rather glowing review that you can read here. This time I was sent the second edition of the Simply Breastfeeding DVD and the Breastpumps and Briefcases audio CD, together known as “the working mom’s bundle.”
Because I’ve said some of this before, I briefly will cover some basics. For those of you not familiar with Shari Criso, she is a nurse midwife and IBCLC. She is also the mom of two breastfed daughters. She believes that 98% of your breastfeeding success lies in your commitment, and I totally agree. In fact she spends the first half of the Simply Breastfeeding video selling you why you should breastfeed so by the end of it you do commit.
The second edition of this video has been updated with streamlined content presented in High Definition. It runs approximately 90 minutes. The breastfeeding information is the same as in the first, and Shari’s nurturing warmth is the same. What is different are the changes she made after obvious study of the blog reviews of her original DVD. Not that any of ther reviews I read were bad. But there were some things that needed to be changed, and she has made them.
One of the criticisms that I and some others had was that the original video had no persons of colour. Well, My Baby Experts™ fixed that. Not only are there men and women of colour now, there are men and women from many different racial backgrounds. Furthermore, there is a lesbian couple in her audience. Hooray for diversity!
Also in the updated DVD are recommendations from the World Health Organization in addition to the American Academy of Pediatrics. As you may know, the APA only recommends that babies be breastfed for up to a year, whereas the WHO recommends for up to two years and beyond. While Shari only highlighed “up to two years,” she did say that everyone’s nursing relationships are unique and that some moms may only nurse a few months while others may nurse longer than two years and that any length of time is acceptable. Good save Shari! (wink)
To read about the other topics Shari covers please see my original Simply Breastfeeding DVD Review.
I continue to highly recommend and fully endorse Simply Breastfeeding. Mothers who don’t or can’t attend breastfeeding classes or who want to have a refresher after their birth, in the hospital or at home, will definitely benefit from this DVD. And if you watch it in the hospital I bet a few hospital staff would benefit too! (I know, I’m a cheeky one!)
Breastpumps and Briefcases is also excellent. I personally learned a lot from listening to this CD because I have never been a pumping mom. Because of this I have always felt that this is my weakest area in my ability to support pumping moms. But now that I’ve heard this CD I feel well equiped! If you are a mom who is returning to work and want to know how to make pumping work for you and your family, this CD tells you how.
Shari covers these topics:
- Breastfeeding benefits for baby
- Breastfeeding benefits for mom
- How and when to introduce a bottle
- How to choose the right breastpump
- How to choose the best bottles
- How to introduce a bottle to an older baby
- What to do if your baby will not take a bottle
- Her opinion on freezing breast milk
- What you need to do in preparation for returning to work
- Child care issues
- What to talk to your child care provider about specific to caring for a breastfed baby
- The difference between feeding a baby formula and breast milk
- How to discuss your pumping needs with your employer
- How to clean your pump parts and bottles
- Tips for scheduling pumping and breastfeeding
- What to do if your milk supply decreases
To Buy: To buy Simply Breastfeeding or Breastpumps and Briefcases go to the little pink button on my sidebar under Think. Act. Buy. and click it to connect to My Baby Experts™. See, if you do this I get a little commission from the sale. And commission is nice. You’re nice too. (wink wink nudge nudge).
Did I mention the prices have come down?
My Baby Experts™ media products are now extremely affordable, and if you buy both the DVD and audio CD you save an extra $10.00.
If the cost is still prohibitive, consider this: I know someone who bought the DVD with a group of her also pregnant friends and everyone made a movie night of it. Then anyone who needed a refresher could watch it anytime. There is a lot of information in this video. After watching it I guarantee you will know more about breastfeeding than 99% of the population, so it is well worth your money.
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED.
To Win: My Baby Experts™ is giving away one copy of both Simply Breastfeeding and Breastpumps and Briefcases to one lucky Breastfeeding Moms Unite! reader.
To Enter: Simply leave a comment telling me why you would like to win.
For Extra Entries: (leave one comment for each thing you do)
- Subscribe to Breastfeeding Moms Unite! by email or RSS.
- Follow me @bfmom on twitter and tweet this giveaway. RT @bfmom Win Simply Breastfeeding DVD & Audio CD for pumping moms returning to work. http://bit.ly/bECiRB Ends 04/21. Leave the link to your tweet in the comment section. You can tweet this once a day for an extra entry each day.
- Follow @ShariCriso on twitter.
- Join My Baby Experts™ mailing list
- Become a Breastfeeding Moms Unite! Facebook Fan
For three (3) extra entries: (leave 3 comments for each one of these things you do)
- Post this giveaway on your Facebook page.
- Stumble this or another one of my posts.
- Blog about this giveaway.
Contest open to all USA and Canadian residents.
Contest closes April 21st at 5:00 pm PST. The winner will be chosen randomly using random.org. The winner will have up to 48 hours to claim her prize. If I do not hear back from the winner within 48 hours I will randomly choose a new winner. Good luck everyone!